We’re celebrating the fact that Kenny received the sacrament of First Communion today!
Giving up – chocolate (everyone in our family is doing this).
Taking on – going to an extra mass each week
Thank you for helping me. Help my dad get home safe. Bless Great Grandpa.
Kenny wrote this during our home bible study last night and it perfectly sums up our week.
The good news is that Eric is coming home tonight. He’s been in Des Moines for CIRT (just another name for SWAT) training since Sunday. We cannot wait for him to get here. I cannot wait. The bad news is that Eric’s grandpa had a stroke. He’s in the hospital and needs surgery on his carotid artery but they have to wait until he’s a little better before that can happen. He’s a strong man so we’re hoping that the surgery will go well and he’ll be home soon.
Cari did a post on her likes and dislikes that I liked and had to steal.
Like: I purchased a new power cord for our computer today, which means we have access to the internet again.
Dislike: We’ve spent a ton of money on this computer in the past month.
Like: Eric and I beat the new Wii Super Mario Bros. game for the 2nd time, including every coin in every level, level 9 and Bowser twice (there are 2 different endings per game). We even did it without continuing the 2nd time.
Dislike: That means we played the Wii way too much.
Like: We came in 7th out of 26 teams at our church’s annual trivia night. I can’t wait for next year! What could be better than family, friends, a mexican buffet, drinks (beer and margaritas) and trivia for only $15/person?
Dislike: The category on Jimmy Buffett and House. We got 0/10 questions right on the Jimmy Buffett one and only 5 right on the House one.
Like: KU beat K-State on Saturday night and (if that wasn’t good enough) is ranked #1 again.
Dislike: Absolutely nothing. Everything is right in the world in terms of college basketball.
Like: Luke’s still doing good in the potty training department (except for dislike listed below).
Dislike: He’s still only going #2 in his diaper in the morning before we get up or during nap time.
Like: Eric’s work is having a promotional process for a new Sergeant. I’ll be crossing every finger possible until the process is over.
Dislike: This process will be going on during March and April, which is when Eric was hoping to go to Spain to see his sister. That won’t be happening now.
I signed Kenny up for bible school this year at our church. He goes for an hour and a half, once a week. I was a little worried because his class is made up of 3-5 year olds. Kenny’s a really smart kid (and I’m not just saying that because I’m his mom) so I was a little worried that he wouldn’t learn enough with the younger kids. But then he sang us this song yesterday:
I think he’s doing just fine right where he’s at.
Day 3 was all about Ali’s baptism.
Eric and I were lucky enough to be her godparents. I offered to buy Ali a baptismal gown but they already had one from Suzie’s side of the family that had been used since 1914. So instead, I bought her a charm bracelet. I put two charms on it, one with her name and birthday and one that was a cross, to symbolize the baptism. I did this for our other god-daughter, Abby, and really liked it.
After the baptism, they had a party at their house. They lucked out because their next door neighbors were having a 25th anniversary party at the same time and hired a mariachi band and a deejay. We had free music all night, which was great until we wanted to sleep.
- Steve and Suzie came over on Monday night. We got to meet Ali (our future goddaughter) for the very first time. The baptism is going to be some time in October/November. I cannot wait!
- On Tuesday night I met up with my MIL, SIL and Eric’s aunt Carol and cousin Rachel for Carol’s birthday dinner. It’s a fun little tradition for the girls in the family. Rachel’s birthday is coming up next in August. She’s moving to Austin on August 24th so we’ll have to get it in before she leaves.
- Eric finished the fence while I was at said birthday dinner. Hallelujah!
- Eric and I saw Harry Potter for the 2nd time yesterday. The first time we saw it was at midnight and we were in the 2nd row (horrible seats). We decided to go again, more awake and in more desirable seats.
- Kenny finished his first week of the third session swimming lessons. I think we need to move over to that area b/c I know everybody and their brother there. This time around, I was lucky enough to hang out with Erin, who is one of my closest friend’s (Colorado Kelly) sister.
- We finally talked Kenny into going down the water slide at the PV pool last night (with the help from some Dirt and Worms at Sheridan’s). He went towards the entrance, only to find out that he needs to grow about another inch to do it.
- Eric and I are taking the boys to get their pictures taken this morning. I have a coupon for a free portrait packet at The Picture People for being a member. I’m hoping that we get some good ones. I’ll send them out some time in the next few days.
“Luke, we don’t boom boom (shoot) bad guys in church.”
I’m so excited. Our good friends, Steve and Suzie Martin, just asked us to be the godparents to their little girl, Allison.
It looks like our Omaha trip (and Eric’s marathon) is off and we’ll be traveling to sunny San Diego instead. We’re not complaining.
Kenny made his first (big) donation today. His vacation bible school is collecting money for Nickels for Nets. NFN gives mosquito nets to children in Africa to help prevent malaria. Each net costs $10. Kenny decided to use $10 from the donate section of his piggy bank to buy a net for a child. I’m so proud of him.