NY – day 2

I have to start out by saying thank you to Mike for doing all the touristy stuff with us because we really did a lot of it.

Day 2 began with a much needed trip to Starbucks before we headed over to the bus tours.  On the way over, Mike needed to stop at his bank to get some cash.  My mom and I were waiting for him at the corner next to the Radio City Music Hall when Mike called to say that if we walked towards the bank we would see the Dalai Lama.  That’s him in the red. 

The Dalai Lama waved to the crowd and quickly went inside the RCMH, where he has a speaking engagement, and we went on find a tour around the city.  We climbed on our bus, saw some NY sights,

(please ignore the other people taking their picture)

and hopped on and off when we felt like it.  We went to Union Square, where there was this great outdoor market going on with food, flowers and art.  That’s where I found the Super-Man and Batman pictures for the boys’ room.  We ate lunch in Greenwich Village out on a patio and made our way over to Canal Street to try to find some fake purses.  Mike said the sellers usually just sell their stuff out of suitcases on the side streets but the cops must have been cracking down on them because we had a hard time finding them.  We finally found some guys selling them out of trash bags and cars, but none that we loved so we moved on.  We caught the bus again (after a lot of walking – just because they say that a bus will pick up at a certain spot, doesn’t mean that it necessarily will) and made our way back to the start of our tour.  We had a little time to kill so we made a quick stop in Central Park and walked around a little bit. 

Then, it was time to go back to the hotel to get ready for dinner and a musical.  I can’t remember the name of the restaurant where we ate but it was a really good Italian place.  Plus, it took credit/debit cards.  I think it’s weird that you have to pay cash at so many restaurants in New York.  Anyways, after dinner we tried to walk to where Next to Normal was playing but my new shoes gave me huge blisters that popped while we were walking.  I made them hail a cab that drove us literally around the block.  But it was worth it and we got to the musical with minutes to spare.  I was really surprised at how small the theater was, especially when my mom paid so much more for our seats.  We seriously could have gotten the cheapest seats in there and we still would have had good seats.  Live and learn, huh?  Also, we bought our tickets ahead of time but you can buy tickets the morning of and get them pretty cheap.  You obviously have to be flexible in which shows you are willing to see but as long as you have a few in mind, you should be fine.  I think they say to be in line around 9 in the morning to get afternoon tickets and maybe 1 or 2 p.m. to get night ones.  Next to Normal was really good – it won a Pulitzer and three Tonys.  I won’t spoil it for anyone but it’s about a family where the mom is a little nuts.  There’s a big surprise in the story and you find out why she is like that and how the family deals with everything.  I was completely bawling at one point and I’m not a big crier.  The play was over around 10 or 10:30 so we took a taxi back to the hotel and went to bed. 

If you ever go to NY and need a good hotel to stay at, ours was great.  The Hilton was right down the street from Central Park, Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, MoMA and theatres.  I highly recommend it. 

Next up….day 3.


Leave a comment

Filed under family, me and only me, travel, vacation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s