New house update:
We had an inspection on our new house last week and some big foundation issues came up. It’s nothing that can’t be fixed but we’re not 100% sure that the owner is willing to do it. I feel really bad for her because she said that she had the same concerns when she bought the house and paid a lot of money to fix it. But apparently (according to our engineer and another company I’ve talked to), the pulley system that was put in did nothing to fix the actual problem. Her agent asked if our engineer’s findings were negotiable and we had to say no. We really love the house but it’s just too big of a problem for us to take on. So now we’re just waiting to hear from the owner to see if she’s willing to do the repairs. We’ve extended that deadline to Friday (an extra week) to give her more time to figure things out and to show that we want to work with her. We know she had an engineer out the other day to get a second opinion and I’m sure she’s been making a lot of calls to her old engineer and the company that did the original fixes. Or at least I would be.
Current house update:
We’ve had a lot of showings but no offers yet. Most of the feedback has been good except for the very first one. I specifically told the company that set up the appointment to tell the agent that the wood rot on the house would be fixed within the next few days. The agent must not have gotten the message because the majority of the feedback was on that. After that, I just started leaving notes on things that were going to be replaced and fixed. For example, I’m still waiting for a window in Luke’s room and a kitchen drawer front to be replaced. They’ve both been ordered but haven’t arrived yet. The wood rot has been fixed and the majority of the house has been painted. We’re just waiting for the weather to warm up so we can finish the rest. I think we’re going to try to have an open house this Sunday if the weather is better.